It’s no secret I love to cook. But returning home from vacation to cook? That isn’t something I look forward to! If we arrive home around dinner time, as we did after our recent (amazingly awesome) trip to Walt Disney World, we make it easy & order pizza. But the next day? The day we are unpacking, catching up on laundry and resting? That is the day I love to have a freezer meal ready to go! If I can plop it in my slow cooker, even better! My mouth is watering just thinking about the delicious tacos we will have with this shredded beef!
I love how a plateful of spices looks!
Be sure to label your bag before you put anything into it. I’m not sure why but the Sharpie seems to set better if I do that.
Putting your ziptop bag in a larger container gives it structure while you fill it. For quart-size bags, a 4-cup measuring cup is perfect.
The browned meat goes into the bag to cool, while…
Once the veggies are done cooking, into the bag it goes along with Rotel or crushed tomatoes. When the bag is cool, into the freezer it goes for amazing shredded beef tacos (or enchiladas, burritos…whatever your choice!) when you need it.
Mexican Shredded Beef
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoon chipotle powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper
- 1-2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 lb chuck roast cut into 2-3 pieces
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 onion diced
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 14 ounces crushed tomatoes or Rotel tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup broth or water
- Cut the beef into 3-5 pieces.
- Combine the Spice Mix ingredients in a bowl. Rub 4 teaspoons into beef.
- Heat oil in pan and add beef, working in batches, until sides are browned (3-5 minutes per side). Remove meat to crock-pot & turn the heat down to medium-low.
- Add garlic, jalapeno & onion and cook 3-5 minutes. Add to crockpot along with juice. Add broth/water to pan, bring to a bubble and deglaze pan for 2-3 minutes then add to crock-pot, along with Rotel/crushed tomatoes & 3 teaspoons of spice mixture. (The remaining spice mixture is enough for the next time you make this.)
- Cook for 4-6 hours on low. Remove meat & shred, return to crock-pot. (If desired, use a blender to puree sauce before returning the meat to the pan.)
- Freeze after browning meat/combining ingredients OR after cooking & shredding.
- To cook your freezer meal, thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then follow directions at step 5.
Have you checked out Plan to Eat? It’s the only meal-planning system that I’ve stuck with. Most systems lasted a year max but I’ve been with Plan to Eat for nearly five years. With the ability to import recipes, plan meals & automatically-generate a shopping list, it works for me!